The Open Call is operated by Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop, Unit 1, 1 Bard Road, London W10 6TP.
The competition is open to any international artist whose primary activity painting, drawing, sculpture, design, conceptual, film or cross-disciplinary work. Employees (and their families) of Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop and anyone connected with the competition are not eligible.
All applicants will be required to complete an application. This comprises
- a completed application form
- an artist’s statement of no more than 300 words
- 10 images of original works (or related documentation) by the artist.
- an entry fee of ₤35 payable by Paypal. Use your full name for reference on payments.
By submitting an application, the entrant promises that all of the information comprised in the application is correct. The entrant also promises to comply with these rules and any other competition requirements specified by Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop (whether on its website or otherwise) and Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop reserves the right to exclude any entry which in its opinion does not comply.
Only one entry per person is permitted. All applications must be made through the Application page of the Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop website. No hard copy applications will be accepted. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt. Applications plus payment must be received by the closing date specified. No responsibility can be accepted for entries which are incomplete, delayed, damaged, wrongly delivered or not received for whatever reason.
The submitted works must be entirely the entrant’s original idea and creation and they must not infringe someone else’s copyright or other intellectual property rights. The submission must be lawful, it must not be offensive, obscene, racist, insulting, discriminating or otherwise objectionable and it must not contain any form of advertising.
Entrants grant Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop the unrestricted right (without royalty) to reproduce images of submitted artworks in any publication in connection with the Residency Programmes and/or Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop’s Open Call.
The selected applicant decision is final. If Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop is unable to contact any short-listed artist or winner via the email address supplied by the entrant, the short-list position / prize lapses and Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop reserves the right to select alternative applicants.
Selected artists will be contacted directly. The names of the winner and will be published on Social Media and elsewhere in competition publicity.
The selected artists are expected to sign agreements governing the conditions applicable to the residency respectively and Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop reserves the right to remove the artist from the residency or withdraw the selection if the relevant agreement is not signed.
In all matters arising in connection with the competition, Unit 1 Gallery |Workshop’s decision shall be final.
No cash alternative is available.
The entrant will be liable for any reasonably foreseeable loss or damage suffered by Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop arising from the artist’s breach of this agreement.
Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop reserves the right to cancel this competition or alter these rules if it considers that it has good reason to do so.
These rules are governed by English law and any disputes will be decided only by the courts of the United Kingdom.
General terms and conditions
- Access to the studios are 24/7 with the exception of Sundays and Mondays, which are closed to everyone/except the director. The gallery hours are Tuesday to Saturday 11 am to 5 pm. Working Studios are open to general visitors during these times.
- In the event there is an exhibition in the main space, residents are required to invigilate Saturday during opening times between 11am and 5pm.
- The artist has to commit the majority of the residency period to this residency and attend the working studios during opening times to be available to public visits.
- The artist must leave studio rubbish each Saturday evening in the garbage area (outside the gallery by the carpark gate).
- The artist will be provided with a set of keys to access both the carpark and the gallery. Additionally, key access is provided by a lock box to the left of the gallery door. A code will be available separately. Please be aware that security is a priority at the space and respect for keeping the space locked and looked after is crucial.
- Toxic and/or dangerous products as well as heavy machinery are generally forbidden, artists should ask the permission of the gallery before using any product that could be considered toxic and /or dangerous by the common sense.
- Works produced by the artist in the studio during the residency period is not to be shown outside the gallery space in advance of the exhibition. When sharing on social media, imagery is to be kept partial and Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop is to be used in the captions.
- The new works created during the residency are to be exclusively first shown in the studio space for the end-of-residency exhibition.
- Before taking part in the end-of-residency exhibition, artists must sign a consignment note for the works exhibited in the end-of-residency show. (see Consignment Note/Financial Agreement).
- To keep the studio and the common parts clean, tidy and clear of rubbish, including but not limited to the kitchen, sinks, toilets etc.
- To not smoke in or adjacent to the gallery space. Smoking is allowed at the wall of the carpark opposite the gallery entrance.
- Not to make any alternation to the studio space without the permission of the gallery.
- To respect the gallery members and not to do anything which may be a nuisance, annoyance, inconvenience or disturbance to them (including noise levels, scents and other sensory disturbances).
- That the gallery space is open to the public and you will be working side by side together.
- To allow the public come and see you during the working days.
- To be photographed and for the images to be used for promotional purposes. This also applies to promotional use of the works produced during the residency.
- To invigilate during end of residency exhibition and agree to set times of availability.
- The Directors studio and office are to be respected as a private space and entrance should be directed via email or WhatsApp in advance.
- To sign in and out for any equipment and goods provided by the gallery (such as hammers, drills and other tools).
- To be responsible for the equipment and goods provided by the gallery and to replace and/or reimburse for them in case of loss or breakage.
- To allow the director of Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop to curate the solo residency exhibition and agrees to participate in associated talks/workshops etc.
- That works created during the Residency period are available and for sale as part of the solo residency exhibition. The pricing of the work happens in cooperation with Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop associates.
Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop represents and warrants that it has entered into a public liability insurance contract with respect to the business carried out at 1 Bard Road, London, W10 6TP. The Parties are each, individually, responsible for any of their own negligent actions or omissions, causing physical harm to people or damage to property. All individuals, products and stock delivered and brought to the gallery by the artist during installation and de-install (see dates above) are expressly the responsibility of the artist. Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop will not be held liable for damage, loss or theft. The artist accepts personal liability for any injury to themselves or their elected help as well as invited guests whilst in and adjacent to the gallery space for the duration of the aforementioned timeframe. The artist accepts to make no claim upon Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop and its founder Stacie McCormick and further accepts that the nature of installing works require risks that the artist accepts on behalf of themselves and their elected helpers. Any and all accidents or injury that occur will be at the understood and accepted responsibility by the artist. The artist understands that the space has two floors and upstairs is no access without notice from the director or other staff, with regard to security and privacy. Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop has an inventory of fitting and fixtures and equipment in house and it is understood by the artist that there will be no use without notice and nor will the artist and their elected help and guests put any of the inventory, fitting and fixtures at risk.
By the end of the deinstall period it is the artist’s responsibility to make good the venue. This includes handing back the property in a clean state, removing all rubbish and packaging material from the property and restoring the property to the original condition at the start of the residency and installation period, minus any wear and tear that may result from the normal use of the premises.
Exhibition Cancellation Policy
Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop reserves the right to cancel an exhibition without notice if the nature of the event or the works on display are deemed to be illegal, obscene or offensive.
Parking and External Space
The artist and their elected helpers will utilise the parking space (1) for drop off and installation purposes only and will respect the other tenants of 1 Bard Road. The security gate will remain closed and will need to be securely closed at the end of day to be the responsibility of the agreed attending individual(s) (as authorised, reviewed and agreed in advance with all parties).
Financial Agreement/Consignment Note
The artist and Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop agree that the proceeds of the sale of works (works produced and shown in association with the residency program, see List of Works under Consignment) of the artist exhibited at Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop will result in shared proceeds. Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop agrees to pay the artist 50% of all sales from this named show only. The promised share of 50% proceeds extends beyond the show dates to 6 months. After signing the work under consignment agreement, the artist and the works exhibited in the show will remain within this agreement beyond the show dates to 6 months. The artist agrees to donate a work of art to add to the catalog of works available for sale to allow Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop to continue supporting future art residencies. The work has to be donated in physical form by the end of the residency period.