Open call for studio residency
Free studio for 3 months followed by solo exhibition in London
Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop is excited to announce its residency programme for the year. The gallery is offering one artist access for three months to one of its spectacular 700 square foot studio spaces, with both natural and professional lighting. Working above the gallery space, the successful applicant has the opportunity to network with artists, curators, collectors and the wider public whilst visiting ongoing exhibitions and events organised in the gallery. The residency programme will also provide guidance from gallery directors as well as an end-of-residency solo exhibition organised in the studio space.
The residency programme is open to artists of all ages and backgrounds including international artists living outside of the United Kingdom. Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop currently cannot provide housing for its residency programme however we will do everything we can to help direct the selected artist to find a place to stay in London.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious artist to benefit from a large studio to create a new body of work as large and complex as desired, to experiment, research or take a new direction, and to strengthen a career.
We offer 3 residency sessions:
The application cost is £35.
The selected artist for Session I will be announced on the 15th of August 2017 and will have access to the working studio from the 1st of September 2017 to the 29th of November 2017. The solo exhibition will take place from the 30th of November to the 7th of December 2017.
Criteria for selection:
- Applicants must be contemporary practitioners in fine art (painting, drawing, sculpture, design, conceptual, film or cross-disciplinary work),
- Applicants must be able to travel to London for the residency duration,
- Applicants must be open to collaborate and work with other artists and curators,
- Applicants should be interested in fostering a relationship with the gallery’s visitors.
What we offer:
- A three-month free studio of 700 square foot,
- An end-of-residency solo exhibition organized by Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop curators,
- An induction session (for international resident artist) to discover the London art scene,
- Guidance from Unit 1 Gallery | Workshop directors,
- Support to the resident artist to organize open studio, artist talk or other events,
- Letters of recommendation for funding applications,
- Artist membership in Workshop Foundation,
- The progress of the residency programme will be advertised on the gallery’s social media accounts, newsletter and website.